Circling Back to The Innovation Curve
At the start of this semester, I thought I was part of the late majority of the innovation curve. My comfort zone was around familiar platforms like Canvas, Canva, Kahoot, and Loom. Although I occasionally used AI tools like ChatGPT and Magic School AI, I did so cautiously and usually for specific tasks, like creating class materials, drafting instructions, or generating yearbook content. I recognized the value of AI, but I was reluctant to depend on it in a deeper or more systematic way. At that point, I viewed myself as tech-curious but not tech-forward; I liked new tools but preferred to let others test them first.
Throughout this class, my perspective has changed considerably. Engaging with new technologies from the viewpoint of a Learning Design and Technology professional has transformed my understanding of my role in adopting and evaluating new tools. Instead of just reacting to technology as it emerges, I now comprehend the frameworks, impacts, and design considerations needed to implement technologies responsibly and strategically. I’ve shifted from thinking of technology as something that’s added to my work to seeing it as something that can actively influence and improve learning environments when used purposefully. This change has pushed me closer to early adoption and, interestingly, to early evaluation, rather than waiting for widespread acceptance.
Pivotal Moments That Changed My Perspective
One of the most important ideas this semester was recombinant innovation. Before this course, I had never thought about how new technologies could be layered or combined to create completely new learning systems. Working on my five-layer recombinant innovation project, where I designed an ASL learning platform that integrated computer vision, mixed reality, adaptive AI, haptics, and blockchain, marked a turning point for me. It helped me see innovation in a broader way, moving beyond single tools to interconnected ecosystems. I now view technologies not as stand-alone solutions but as modular parts that can be combined in many ways to tackle complex learning challenges.
Another key moment was designing my AI-powered SEL simulation plan for ASU Prep. This wasn’t just a theoretical task. I had to look into a real challenge, student behavior, emotional regulation, and teacher burnout, and suggest a practical technology-based solution. This experience pushed me to think like a learning and development professional. I had to consider cost, alignment with goals, ethical factors, infrastructure, training needs, and long-term sustainability. It helped me imagine how AI simulations could realistically assist teachers in practicing de-escalation strategies, communicating better with high-needs students, and easing the burden of behavior interventions. This assignment made emerging technology feel real and impactful, not just abstract or experimental.
Throughout the semester, we looked at tools like VR, AR, AI analytics, blockchain microcredentialing, big data systems, adaptive learning technologies, and immersive simulations. Each technology had its own set of benefits, limitations, and ethical issues. Understanding these tools as not just futuristic ideas but as real technologies that are currently influencing areas such as higher education, healthcare, and workforce training expanded my vision of what is possible. These are not technologies of the future, they are technologies shaping the present.
A Shift in Attitude Towards Adopting Emerging Technologies Early
My attitude toward new technologies has changed in several important ways. At the start of the semester, I was cautious. I liked technology, but I valued predictability and reliability. I tended to wait for proof of effectiveness or for my organization to adopt a tool before I felt comfortable diving in. Throughout this course, I gained a better understanding of how emerging technologies work, how to evaluate them, and how to manage the risks responsibly. This knowledge boosted my confidence. Instead of feeling intimidated by new technologies, I now feel ready to assess them logically and ethically.
One of the biggest shifts is that I now feel more comfortable exploring technologies early, even when they are still developing or not yet widely used. I used to think being an early adopter meant being impulsive or following trends. Now I see that early adoption in education can be strategic, especially when based on research, data, and clear learning goals. I also understand that early adopters help institutions avoid falling behind. Innovation in learning design needs experimentation, iteration, and thoughtful risk-taking. This course showed me that I am fully capable of doing that.
My willingness to adopt new technologies has grown, but so has my awareness of ethical boundaries. Discussions about algorithmic bias, data privacy, student surveillance, and the social impact of AI have made me more cautious, but in a helpful way. I am more aware of how technologies affect equity, access, and learner autonomy. I am excited to explore new tools, but I am also dedicated to questioning their design, implications, and long-term effects. I’m not blindly enthusiastic; I’m thoughtfully enthusiastic.
Where I See Myself on the Innovation Curve Now
If I had to place myself now, I would confidently say I am an early adopter. I feel comfortable imagining new solutions, experimenting with new platforms, and recommending technologies still in development if they fit instructional needs. My LDT training has changed my perspective from being a “technology user” to being a “technology evaluator and implementer.” I now view emerging technologies as opportunities, not just to make tasks easier, but to transform teaching, improve learner outcomes, and innovate in educational systems.
This change matches my professional goals. As I look for roles outside the classroom, such as academic advising, instructional design, curriculum development, or educational technology, being an early adopter helps me contribute to decision-making and innovation. I am better prepared to lead technology integration, guide my colleagues, and advocate for ethical and effective practices.
This semester altered not only how I view emerging technologies but also how I see myself in relation to them. I began as someone who waited for technology to become mainstream and reliable. I am ending as someone who can evaluate critically, adopt strategically, and even design innovative solutions. My position on the innovation curve is not fixed; it is evolving along with my identity as an educator, graduate student, and future learning designer. I finish this course with increased confidence, more curiosity, and a stronger sense of responsibility as I navigate the constantly changing landscape of technology in education.
Comments
Post a Comment