Looking Beyond Training: How Needs Assessment Changed My Perspective as a Learning Designer

    When I first started this course, I thought of needs assessment mostly as the first step before developing training. I believed that if an organization asked for training, my job as a learning designer was to find the best way to create and deliver it. Looking back, I see that I was approaching problems with a solution-first mindset. I assumed that because someone requested training, it had to be the answer. However, throughout this course, I learned that effective learning designers do much more than create instruction; they examine performance issues before suggesting any solutions. My thinking has shifted from asking, "What training should I build?" to asking, "What problem am I really trying to solve?" This change in perspective has become one of the most valuable lessons I will take into my future career.

    One major turning point for me was the EduCore Dynamics case at the start of the course. Leadership thought poor customer service stemmed from weak communication skills and wanted a communication training program. At first, that request made sense, and I likely would have accepted it without much thought before taking this class. However, when we did a needs assessment, we found that the organization's challenges were far more complicated. System outages, outdated customer service software, staffing shortages, and inefficient workflows were creating obstacles that communication training alone could never resolve. That assignment challenged my biggest assumptions about instructional design. I realized that taking a training request at face value can waste resources, frustrate employees, and lead to solutions that fail to enhance performance. Instead, a learning designer must investigate the true causes of a performance issue before suggesting any intervention.

    As the course went on, I developed a deeper understanding of systems thinking. Before this class, I saw performance problems as isolated events that could be fixed with better instruction. Now, I recognize that many interconnected factors affect organizational performance, including leadership, communication, workplace processes, technology, organizational culture, available resources, and employee knowledge. Training is just one part of a much larger system. This perspective has changed how I think about my future role as a learning designer. Rather than only focusing on creating engaging learning experiences, I now see myself as someone who asks insightful questions, gathers evidence, and helps organizations identify the best solutions, even if those do not involve training.

    Another important learning experience came through the Forbin case, which we followed across several modules. Instead of jumping straight into recommendations, we built an entire needs assessment process from scratch. We identified stakeholders, developed a needs assessment plan, created a data collection plan, considered ethical responsibilities, analyzed qualitative interview data, and ultimately made evidence-based recommendations. Working through each phase helped me understand that needs assessment is not just a one-time activity. It is a systematic process meant to reduce assumptions and improve decision-making. Each step built on the previous one, highlighting the importance of collecting reliable evidence before reaching conclusions.

    One concept that significantly shifted my thinking was triangulation. Before this course, I viewed evidence as simply whatever information was on hand. If an employee shared an opinion or a manager raised a concern, I believed that information alone was enough to support a recommendation. Now, I know that evidence becomes stronger when confirmed across multiple sources. Employee interviews offer valuable insights into perceptions and experiences, but those findings gain much more weight when compared with workplace observations, production reports, safety records, maintenance logs, organizational documents, and survey data. Looking at various sources not only strengthens the credibility of the findings but also lowers the chances of making recommendations based on assumptions or incomplete information. This realization has completely changed how I think about gathering and evaluating evidence.

    The qualitative interview analysis reinforced this shift in my thinking. Learning Braun and Clarke's thematic analysis process showed me that qualitative analysis requires more than just highlighting interesting quotes. It involves carefully reviewing the data, developing initial codes, identifying recurring patterns, refining themes, and understanding what those themes reveal about organizational performance. One of the most valuable lessons from this assignment was learning to differentiate between findings, interpretations, and recommendations. Before this course, I probably would have gone straight from employee comments to proposed solutions. Now, I know that findings describe recurring patterns in the data, interpretations explain what those patterns suggest about the underlying performance issue, and recommendations identify appropriate actions supported by the evidence. Separating these steps makes recommendations much more trustworthy since they are based on systematic analysis rather than personal opinion.

    Another area where my thinking evolved was in understanding the ethical responsibility of collecting data. Throughout the Forbin case, we discussed confidentiality, informed consent, transparency, and protecting participant privacy. Before this course, I saw data collection mainly as gathering information. Now, I understand that how data is collected matters just as much as the data itself. Employees are much more likely to provide honest and meaningful feedback when they trust that their responses will remain confidential and that the purpose of the assessment is to improve the organization, not to assign blame. This ethical perspective has helped me see the importance of creating an environment where participants feel respected throughout the needs assessment process.

    Looking ahead, I believe this course will shape how I approach my future work as a learning designer. Whether I continue designing learning experiences, supporting faculty in higher education, or consulting with organizations, I now see the importance of gathering evidence before suggesting interventions. I feel much more confident asking tough questions, considering multiple perspectives, and taking organizational factors into account alongside employee learning needs. Instead of assuming that every performance issue requires training, I now realize that communication processes, leadership practices, workflow design, documentation, technology, available resources, or organizational culture may also play significant roles. This systems-thinking mindset will enable me to develop solutions that are not only sound from an instructional standpoint but also more meaningful, sustainable, and effective for the organizations I serve.

    Reflecting on this course, I realize that my understanding of learning design has fundamentally shifted. I no longer see needs assessment as a checklist to complete before starting instructional design. Instead, I view it as the foundation for every decision that follows. Taking the time to understand the true nature of a performance issue leads to recommendations that are backed by evidence, aligned with organizational goals, and more likely to lead to meaningful improvements. Perhaps the most important lesson I will carry forward is that learning designers are not just creators of training, they are problem solvers who use evidence to assist organizations in making better decisions. This shift in perspective has been my greatest takeaway from the course, and it will continue to influence my professional practice long after the class has ended.

AI Disclosure Statement  

    I used ChatGPT as a brainstorming tool and thought partner while completing this blog post. AI helped me organize the overall structure, refine the flow of ideas, and enhance the clarity and readability of my writing. All reflections and final content are my own. I carefully reviewed, revised, and edited all AI-generated suggestions to ensure they accurately reflected my learning and represented my own perspective. I verified the final submission and take full responsibility.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections from the Late Majority

Reflection on Evaluative Comptencies