Reflection on Evaluative Comptencies
As an educator, I have developed strong foundational evaluation skills through my daily teaching. I would give myself a 5 out of 6 for both reflecting on evaluation to improve practice and designing credible, practical evaluations. These skills have grown through continuous work with student data, making instructional decisions, and adjusting learning experiences for a variety of learners. In my classroom, evaluation is not a separate task; it is an ongoing process integrated into daily instruction, lesson planning, and reflection. While I am confident in these areas, my evaluation experience comes mostly from classroom practice rather than from formal evaluation frameworks or theory.
One of my key strengths is my ability to reflect on evaluations, both formal and informal, to improve my teaching. During a project-based writing unit, I noticed common patterns in student work that showed gaps in creating strong claims and using textual evidence effectively. Instead of focusing on each student's performance, I took a step back to look for trends across the class. I realized the issue was not individual but instructional. I thought about how my teaching may have led to these misunderstandings and adjusted my approach. I reteached key concepts using supports such as sentence frames, graphic organizers, and models, and added more frequent check-ins to monitor understanding earlier. This approach shows my commitment to using reflection to improve my practice, which aligns with AEA Competency 1.5. It also highlights my ability to use evaluation as a tool for making instructional decisions rather than just a way to measure performance.
Another strength I bring is my ability to design credible, practical evaluations that align with learning goals and remain accessible to diverse learners. While planning a unit based on our HMH curriculum, I needed to assess students’ skills in analyzing informational texts and producing evidence-based writing. Considering the wide range of reading levels in my classroom, I designed a project-based assessment that offered multiple entry points while still keeping the challenge. I created a rubric aligned with the learning objectives and included supports such as guided questions, chunked texts, and optional aids for students who needed more help. I also organized the project in stages, with formative checkpoints to ensure students were making progress and getting feedback before the final submission. Using Canvas and the HMH platform helped me organize materials efficiently and track student progress. This reflects AEA Competency 2.3, which focuses on designing evaluations that are both credible and practical. My approach shows an understanding that good evaluation design must balance alignment, accessibility, and feasibility in a real classroom.
Despite my strengths, I have room to grow in choosing evaluation approaches and theories. Right now, my evaluation practices mainly come from my experience rather than a deep understanding of formal evaluation models or theoretical frameworks. While I can design effective assessments and respond to student data, I don’t yet feel confident in identifying or applying specific evaluation approaches, such as formative versus summative evaluations, beyond a basic understanding of the more complex frameworks used in program evaluation. This gap limits my ability to explain the reasons behind my evaluation choices in a professional or research context. Moving forward, I plan to improve this skill by studying evaluation theories more intentionally and applying them to my current work. This will help me move from making intuitive decisions to a more informed, theory-based evaluation design.
Another area for growth is my ability to clarify diverse perspectives, stakeholder interests, and cultural assumptions in evaluation. In my current role, my evaluation practices are primarily based on student performance data, such as identifying which standards students have mastered and where they need more help. While this is valuable, it represents only one perspective. I know that broader evaluation work involves understanding multiple stakeholders, including students, families, colleagues, and the larger school community. At this point, I do not consistently include these perspectives in my evaluation process. To grow in this area, I plan to seek out additional viewpoints by gathering student feedback, collaborating more with colleagues, and considering how cultural and contextual factors shape both learning and evaluation outcomes. Improving this skill will help me approach evaluation more holistically and ensure that it reflects a wider range of experiences and needs.
One surprising part of this reflection process was realizing how closely my daily teaching practices align with formal evaluation competencies. Before this, I didn’t view my work through the lens of evaluation, even though I regularly analyze data, adjust instruction, and design assessments with clear goals. This process helped me see that evaluation is not separate from teaching but deeply embedded within it. Moving forward, I want to build on this foundation by strengthening my understanding of formal evaluation frameworks and applying them more intentionally in my practice. After this course, I plan to continue developing these skills by exploring additional resources, engaging in professional learning, and finding opportunities to apply evaluation practices in broader contexts. Ultimately, this experience has changed my perspective, helping me view evaluation as an ongoing, reflective process that supports both instructional improvement and meaningful learning experiences, while also informing more intentional, data-driven decisions in future instructional design and evaluation practices.
Comments
Post a Comment