Reflecting on the eLearning Development Process

What Went Well  

One of the highlights of this project was developing the scripting for my worm ranching eLearning module in Twine. I enjoyed mapping out the learner’s journey, writing the narration, and framing the interactions to feel genuine. Scripting was a creative process that came easily to me. I could focus on the story, the role of being a “worm rancher,” and how the content would flow. Twine made it easy to see choices and pathways, which helped when I translated that into Storyline.  

Another positive aspect was learning to frame the content in a scenario-based style. Instead of just explaining vermiculture, I created situations where learners had to make choices, such as what happens if you add citrus peels to the bin or how to order the steps for setting up a worm ranch. This approach made the module more engaging and followed best practices for learner-centered design. I felt like I was moving beyond simple “click-next” content to something more interactive.  

What Didn’t Go Smoothly  

While I enjoyed scripting, learning how to use Storyline 360 was a tougher challenge. The navigation within the software was not user-friendly at first. Triggers, states, and layers felt overwhelming. Early on, I made many mistakes trying to get interactions to work, and fixing them was frustrating. Eventually, I discovered that I could use my AI Mentor to help solve problems step by step, which prevented me from getting completely stuck. That shift was a significant learning moment: sometimes finding a solution involves knowing where to seek help rather than trying to know everything yourself.  

Another challenge was recording the narration. I don’t have access to a perfectly quiet space, and it showed in my audio. Some recordings are louder than others, and you can tell they were done at different times. I could have gone back and re-recorded for a more polished result, but by that point, I felt worn out from all the technical work that Storyline required. Audio felt like an area where I accomplished just enough to finish the module.  

The Most Difficult Aspect  

Of all the challenges, troubleshooting Storyline was the hardest for me. The creativity behind scripting and scenario building came easily, but getting those ideas to work in the authoring tool was draining. Sometimes, I would spend an hour on a single trigger, only to realize I had missed a simple checkbox. While this was frustrating, it reminded me that the technical side of eLearning is a skill that requires time and practice, and no one gets it right the first time. I learned that patience and persistence matter just as much as creativity in this field.  

Looking Toward the Future of eLearning  

Despite my struggles with Storyline, I began to think about what these tools might look like in ten years. Technologies like Generative AI, Augmented Reality (AR), and microlearning will significantly shape the next generation of digital learning. From my experience, AI helped me troubleshoot Storyline issues and brainstorm content. In the future, I can see AI becoming less of an outside helper and more of an integrated co-designer. I can see opening Storyline in the future and having an AI assistant that can automatically generate triggers, suggest assessment questions, or create different activity versions for accessibility. I believe AI will also help personalize learning: two learners could take the same course but see slightly different scenarios based on their responses, needs, or prior knowledge. This would make learning paths more adaptive and engaging.   

I also believe augmented reality will change how we interact with eLearning content. Currently, my worm ranching module includes hotspots, checklists, and simple animations. But in ten years, learners might project a worm bin onto their desk using their phone or AR glasses. They could walk around it, look inside, and practice feeding it by dragging digital scraps into the bin. This kind of immersive, hands-on experience would far exceed what we can do now with flat slides. And worm ranching is just one example, augmented reality could transform medical training, science labs, or workplace simulations by providing realistic practice in a safe environment.  

Another trend I expect to see grow is microlearning. Even while developing a longer module, I found it easier to create content in small, digestible chunks. Ten years from now, most eLearning will be designed in short bursts: a five-minute scenario, a two-minute video, or a quick AI-powered quiz. Learners want flexibility and accessibility, especially on mobile devices. Microlearning doesn’t mean less rigor; it just means packaging content in a way that respects attention spans and daily schedules. Paired with AI, microlearning could even adapt in real time, providing a daily scenario or tip based on what the learner struggled with the day before.  

The Changing Design Process  

For eLearning designers, this future will change the process. Rather than spending hours troubleshooting triggers like I did, I imagine tools will automatically handle much of the technical complexity. Designers will spend less time battling software and more time crafting stories, building scenarios, and considering learner experience. Some tasks might be as simple as using voice commands: “Create a decision scenario about feeding worms,” and the tool builds it instantly. The human role will be guiding those tools, ensuring the learning remains meaningful and centered on the learner.  

What Learners Will Gain  

From the learner’s point of view, eLearning will feel more personalized, immersive, and engaging. Instead of passively clicking through slides, they’ll role-play, solve problems, and practice skills that reflect their real-world context. Feedback will adjust in real time, ensuring learners not only receive a score but also build understanding. In short, eLearning will shift from being about watching to being about doing.  

Conclusion  

Working on my worm ranching module showed me both the joys and challenges of eLearning development. I loved scripting and creating scenarios, yet I struggled with the technical aspects of Storyline and audio recording. These challenges gave me a better understanding of the balance between creativity and persistence needed in this field.  

Looking ahead, I’m excited to see how eLearning will evolve. With AI, augmented reality, and microlearning on the horizon, the future promises more powerful and accessible tools, design processes that prioritize creativity over technicality, and learning experiences that are far more interactive and personalized than what we have today. In ten years, learners won’t just be clicking through modules; they’ll be living them. And perhaps, in that future, a new generation of learners will still be raising their first worm ranch, only this time in full augmented reality rather than on flat slides.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections from the Late Majority

Looking Beyond Training: How Needs Assessment Changed My Perspective as a Learning Designer

Reflection on Evaluative Comptencies