Learning to Listen: Strengthening My Communication Identity as an Educator and Designer

    Out of the four areas of communication, I feel most confident in visual storytelling. As a middle school English teacher, visuals play a key role in how I engage and connect with my students. I use hand gestures to emphasize important ideas, and I design my lectures to include images, GIFs, and visual cues on almost every slide. These visuals are not just decoration; they are tools that guide discussion and help students remember the material.


    One specific moment that stands out occurred during a unit on figurative language. Instead of merely defining each type, I paired each term with a funny or striking image, like a cloud that "rained cats and dogs" or a cartoon of the sun “smiling down.” My students refer to those slides during reviews. I've noticed they remember the material much longer when there’s a visual connection. This shows that communication isn’t just about speaking; it’s about creating an experience.


    The area I want to improve this term is active listening. I started college just when the world shut down due to COVID, which forced me to adapt quickly to online learning. I liked the freedom to work through lectures, readings, and assignments at my own pace without sitting still for long periods. However, as I transitioned to my professional career, especially during in-person professional development sessions, I've found that maintaining focus during real-time listening can be challenging for me.


    Active listening is crucial for working well with others. Whether I’m in a professional learning community, attending training, or reviewing feedback, I want to be fully present. In my role as a learning designer and educator, truly hearing others—students, colleagues, or stakeholders—helps me meet their needs, collaborate on solutions, and grow in my profession. Currently, I know I miss details and connections when I drift or zone out. I'm committed to improving this.


    To enhance my active listening skills, I’m setting three goals for this term: taking notes, reflecting, and asking questions. I will take structured notes during professional development sessions, staff meetings, and collaborative planning time. I’ll keep a notebook or use a digital document, organizing my notes by date, speaker, or topic. I'll include bullet points and margin comments to highlight key takeaways, questions, and next steps. This practice will help me stay focused and provide something tangible to revisit later. I’ve realized that writing things down intentionally allows me to absorb more and reflect more deeply. This habit will help me stay present and process information better.


    After each important listening moment, whether it’s a team meeting, a webinar, or a casual conversation with a colleague, I plan to take five minutes to reflect. I'll ask myself what the main message was, how it connects to what I’m already doing, and if there's anything I can act on. I might add these reflections to my notes to track patterns over time. This extra moment will help me stay grounded and ensure that I’m not just hearing information but truly understanding and using it.


    I’m challenging myself to ask at least one thoughtful follow-up question in every collaborative session I attend. I often hesitate because I worry my question isn’t “good enough,” but this term I’m letting that go. Follow-up questions can deepen conversations and foster collaboration. Whether it’s for clarification, curiosity, or to expand on an idea, I want to ask questions that help me engage and support others in feeling heard. This approach will help me practice listening to connect and contribute in more meaningful ways.


    My communication habits reflect a learning designer who values creativity, relevance, and student-centered engagement. Whether I’m selecting the right image or GIF to illustrate a concept for my middle school students, or designing assignments that allow students to build knowledge, I believe that meaningful interaction is at the core of learning. I’m not just delivering content; I’m creating experiences.


    This perspective was shaped long before I became a teacher. As a student, I remember analyzing “The Yellow Wallpaper” in a way that made me think critically about autonomy and voice, lessons that influence how I empower my students today. Similarly, teaching Dickinson’s “I felt a Funeral in my Brain” impacted my understanding of tone, pacing, and emotional nuance. I strive to replicate these elements visually and verbally in my own instruction.


    I want my classroom to be a place where students are not just passive recipients of knowledge but active builders of it. My use of visuals and interactive elements is based on my belief that learners need to see themselves in the material. The best way to foster that connection is by giving them agency.


    As I grow professionally, I want my communication style to reflect flexibility, empathy, and innovation. I want to listen deeply, communicate clearly, and use technology, including AI tools, in ways that are purposeful and human. My long-term goal is to support teachers and students by designing learning that is accessible and engaging. To achieve this, I know I need to sharpen my listening skills, how I express myself, and how I use new tools effectively.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections from the Late Majority

Looking Beyond Training: How Needs Assessment Changed My Perspective as a Learning Designer

Reflection on Evaluative Comptencies