My Stance on Learning Theory Application

  Integrating learning theories into educational design is essential because it ensures that instruction is grounded in evidence-based principles that improve comprehension, retention, and engagement. Different students have varying learning styles, prior knowledge, and motivations, which can be addressed through well-designed instructional strategies. By using learning theories, educational content becomes more adaptive, engaging, and effective in supporting meaningful learning outcomes.

    • Review the training materials and understand the course content.

    • Construct material in a way where there were multiple paths for learners to take. 

    • Construct the training in Google Forms, bundling relevant course content into each section to make it manageable, structured, and organized.

    • Create quiz questions and assign a reward system so learners can earn a ‘real’ prize once the course is completed.

    • Create a progress bar to show learners their progress and display when training is complete.

    • Create live feedback along with motivational statements paired with fun GIFs.

    • Publish the training.

    Reflection & Key Takeaway

    Through this assignment, I found out there is a way to incorporate Google Forms as an educational tool; far beyond just for gathering data. I integrated behaviorist principles into the design by incorporating a progress bar that provided real-time feedback as learners advanced through the training. I also tried incorporating external motivation where the accolades earned acted as a “free snack” from the company vending machine, fostering learners' motivation. I took inspiration for this from my own students who are obsessed with getting a “vendy” from the vending machine. Additionally, I applied behaviorist strategies such as recall and recognition by designing multiple-choice questions that reinforced key concepts. Gamification elements, such as a points system in the form of accolades for correct answers helped reinforce learning. While motivational messages paired with GIFs like “Otterly fantastic!” with an otter GIF and “You slam dunked that question!” with a transformer slam dunking a basketball GIF encouraged engagement. 

    I also extended this approach into my 7th and 8th grade English classes by incorporating a gamified learning experience into a unit. Using Google Forms, I designed an interactive activity where students earned points for correct answers and received immediate feedback, reinforcing their understanding of literary concepts. This not only increased student engagement but also demonstrated how behaviorist principles can be effectively applied to classroom instruction.


    Want to check out the Google Form? Click here.

Module 2: Visual Appeal Meets Engagement – The ARCS Model in Action

Engaging Remote Employees with Keller’s ARCS Model

For this week's assignment, I was tasked with designing an infographic that captures the interest of remote employees at Sparky Wave Solutions by incorporating elements of Keller's ARCS model. The goal was to create a visually engaging resource that not only informs but also motivates employees to adopt best practices for remote work.

Problem:

  • The HR helpdesk has received numerous inquiries from employees struggling with remote work challenges.

  • The existing webpage for new employees is overly complex, making it difficult for them to find the necessary information.

Solution:
Develop an infographic that simplifies key information while incorporating motivational elements, ensuring remote employees have the guidance and encouragement needed to work effectively from home.

My Process: 

  • Analyze the existing website content to identify key information and remove unnecessary text.

  • Emphasize essential best practices for employees to enhance clarity and effectiveness.

  • Design a Canva template with appropriate infographic dimensions for optimal display on a computer screen.

  • Develop a visually engaging infographic with compelling headlines and striking visuals to capture and maintain the reader’s attention, aiding with the flow of the graphic.

  • Incorporate engaging elements such as intriguing facts, checklists, and step-by-step guides to reinforce best practices.

  • Finalize and publish the infographic for employee use.

Reflection & Key Takeaway

At first, I struggled to fully grasp Keller’s ARCS model, but as I built my infographic, its principles started to make sense. I initially included too much text, trying to preserve key details, but I realized the importance of simplifying information into concise, digestible pieces. Striking a balance between clarity and completeness was a challenge, but it was rewarding to transform complex content into an engaging visual format. This project reinforced the importance of supporting employees' well-being, ensuring they have the resources needed to thrive in a remote work environment.

Want to check out the Infographic? Click here.

Module 3: Bringing Concepts to Life with Mayer’s Principles


Enhancing Workplace Safety Training with Multimedia Learning

I was tasked with creating a multimedia presentation on workplace safety to improve learner retention by applying Mayer’s Cognitive Theory of Multimedia Learning and cognitivist principles. Additionally, I needed to ensure compliance with copyright laws by incorporating only Creative Commons elements with explicit permission, making the presentation both legally sound and visually engaging.

Problem:

  • The existing training struggled to engage learners and maintain their attention.

  • The content was text-heavy, lacking visual elements to break up information and aid comprehension.

Solution:
Design a multimedia presentation using Google Slides to transform the remote Workplace Safety Manual into a more interactive and visually appealing resource, enhancing both understanding and engagement.


My Process:

  • Evaluate the existing training material and break it down into manageable sections for better learner comprehension.

  • Source relevant graphics from DeepAI to visually enhance the content.

  • Convert the content from Google Docs into a Google Slides presentation.

  • Include reflection moments to encourage engagement and provide brief mental breaks to maintain focus.

  • Finalize and publish the training module.


Reflection & Key Takeaway

As I built the Workplace Safety Manual, I applied cognitive strategies such as chunking, scaffolding, and self-paced processing to give employees more control over their learning. Additionally, incorporating “Reflection Moments” allowed learners to pause, process the material, and consider how to apply it in real-life scenarios. Working on this project also deepened my understanding of Keller’s ARCS model. As I structured the content, I saw firsthand how attention, relevance, confidence, and satisfaction could be integrated into a training module to enhance engagement and motivation. Designing the Workplace Safety Manual was not only an insightful experience but also an enjoyable one, as I found creative ways to make safety training more interactive and effective.

Want to check out the Google Slides? Click here.

Module 4: Building Online Communities with the CoI Framework

 

Building an Online Community for Remote Workers

For this week's assignment, I was tasked with creating an online community in Slack, the communication platform used by Sparky Wave Solutions. The goal was to foster a sense of connection among remote employees while promoting knowledge sharing. This community was designed using principles from the Community of Inquiry framework to encourage collaboration and engagement.

Problem:

  • Remote employees lacked a strong sense of community, making knowledge sharing and team connections difficult.

Solution:

  • Develop a dedicated Slack community where employees can engage in team-building activities and share knowledge, strengthening collaboration and support in a remote work environment.

My Process:

  • Define the channel’s purpose: to share remote work tips, stay informed, and celebrate achievements with colleagues across the company.

  • Set the channel’s focus on community, knowledge sharing, collaboration, and recognition.

  • Choose a channel name: The Collaboration Hub: Emerging Ideas

  • Develop a team-building activity where members introduce themselves and Share one big question or emerging idea that has been on their mind about online learning, education, or collaboration.

  • Actively interact with users by responding to posts and encouraging peer engagement.



Reflection & Key Takeaway

I was especially excited for this assignment because we were finally given some creative freedom to add personalization to our work. Building this online community was a fun and rewarding experience, as I enjoyed finding ways to engage remote employees in meaningful interactions. This assignment reinforced how vital a sense of community is for engagement, even in a remote work environment.

Want to check out the Online Community for Remote Workers? Click here.

Module 5: Cultural and Social Dynamics in Team Building

Designing a Scenario-Based Team-Building Activity

For this assignment, I was tasked with creating a scenario-based digital team-building activity for remote employees, incorporating principles from sociocultural learning and situated learning theories. The goal was to design an engaging activity that fosters collaboration and knowledge-sharing among team members.

Problem:

  • Sparky Wave Solutions recently hired six new marketing employees who need a structured team-building activity to strengthen connections and enhance collaboration.

Solution:

  • Develop a team-building activity in Google Docs, outlining clear objectives, step-by-step instructions, and a reflection component to reinforce learning and team cohesion.

My Process:

    • Define the activity goal: The team has been sent back through time to a random historical era. Participants must work together and problem solve how to get back to the present time using the societal norms of the histrical era they are in. 

    • Establish objectives: Focus on developing teamwork, collaboration, and problem-solving skills.

    • Integrate a personal narrative: A reflection on my own experience going through this simulation back in a undergraduate class.

    • Craft a scenario description: Outline the project requirements, time frame, assigned tasks, and the ultimate goal.

    • Provide clear, numbered instructions: Ensure participants understand the expected outcomes and workflow.

    • Design a debriefing component: Encourage participants to reflect on their experiences, discuss successes, and identify areas for improvement in future projects.


Reflection & Key Takeaway

Creating this activity was both exciting and challenging. I was eager to take on the assignment because I already had a strong idea in mind, inspired by a history class I took during my undergraduate studies. It was exciting to relive that experience and incorporate it into an online learning community. To foster a sense of community, I included a debriefing activity where participants could reflect on their teamwork and share insights for future collaboration. By emphasizing social interaction, I successfully integrated elements of sociocultural learning theory, encouraging knowledge-sharing and collaborative problem-solving.


Want to check out the Scenario-Based Team Building Activity? Click here.

Group Project: Enhancing Cybersecurity Training with Modern Theories

Enhancing the Cyber Security Learning Module with Self-Determination Theory, Transactional Distance, and Generative AI

For this week's assignment, I collaborated with three group members to develop a pitch for IT Managers on updating the Cyber Security Learning module. Our goal was to enhance engagement by incorporating principles of Self-Determination Theory, Moore's Theory of Transactional Distance, and generative AI elements.

Problem:

  • The existing training was outdated, lacked engagement, provided limited autonomy, and did not effectively address transactional distance in remote settings.

  • The structure was inconsistent, making it difficult for learners to navigate and retain information.

Solution:

  • Propose updates to the training module by integrating key learning theories and utilizing generative AI to enhance interactivity and personalization.

My Process:

  • Our group created a project roadmap, set milestones, established deadlines, and assigned roles.

  • In the first week, we researched the three theories and brainstormed ways to integrate them into the training.

  • The following week, we incorporated our findings into a PowerPoint presentation. My specific responsibility was developing the script.

  • We finalized the module and published it on YouTube for easy access.

Reflection & Key Takeaway

Initially, I was apprehensive about working on a group project, as I was balancing my teaching responsibilities and my role as a facilitator at the Boys & Girls Club. However, my group mates were amazing—we communicated effectively, divided tasks efficiently, and worked hard to create a well-developed module. Since we all worked remotely, collaboration had its challenges, but we found ways to make it work. If someone couldn’t attend a meeting, we recorded it and shared the updates. We also used a dedicated Slack channel for real-time communication and held recurring check-ins to stay on track.

Seeing everyone’s unique interpretations of how to improve the training was a highlight of this project. We leveraged AI to generate storyboards that visualized our proposed updates, and we used AI-driven voiceovers and script assistance to enhance the final product. To reduce feelings of isolation among learners, we applied Moore’s Theory of Transactional Distance by creating an interactive community within the module, offering real-time feedback and fostering engagement. This experience reinforced how intentional design can make learning more dynamic and effective, even in remote settings.

Want to check out the Enhancing the Cyber Security Learning Module? Click here.

Connect the Dots

Understanding learning theories is crucial for designing effective educational experiences, as they shape how materials are created to enhance engagement, motivation, and comprehension. I hadn’t realized how deeply learning theory is ingrained in instructional design, but diving into these frameworks was both fun and insightful. It was fascinating to explore the mindset of a learning design expert, and I’m excited to keep learning and building my instructional design toolbox.

Applying these theories makes learning more purposeful. For example, behaviorist principles emphasize reinforcement, making gamification a powerful tool in eLearning by encouraging engagement through points, rewards, and progress tracking. Connectivism highlights the need to keep content updated, ensuring learners interact with relevant information. Recognizing the impact of these theories, I see the importance of continuously studying them as I grow in my career.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections from the Late Majority

Looking Beyond Training: How Needs Assessment Changed My Perspective as a Learning Designer

Reflection on Evaluative Comptencies