Establishing My Personal Brand

    Growing up, I never expected to enter a field that encompasses technology, learning design, and learning theories. I didn’t know what I wanted to do, I knew that school felt like a second home. A home when my own home did not feel like a home. Teaching seemed like the best option, I always had a feeling of satisfaction when I helped friends with their homework. I enjoy teaching, though I knew entering the field I wouldn’t be an educator forever. The field of education is a field of growth and exploration; not a field that allows for you to become stagnant. I am only a second-year teacher, but that has not stopped me from thinking about what I want to gain from the field and what I want to contribute to education. 

    Upon reflecting, designing a learning curriculum for districts and being a support system for teachers would be rewarding. A master's in Technologies and Learning Designs would help reach this goal, along with teaching valuable skills in digital formatting and digital learning tools. A discipline that I am passionate about within this field is instructional design, specifically backward design. My interest in backward design began during my student teaching, where I saw firsthand how intentional planning could transform student learning. Since then, I have continued to refine my approach, using the curriculum provided by my district as a foundation to determine what students need to know. By focusing on learning objectives first, I ensure that all lessons and activities align with meaningful outcomes. 

    Through both formal and informal assessments, I have been able to identify which students fall into Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3, allowing me to tailor instruction accordingly. I scaffold and accommodate based on student needs, ensuring that every learner has the support necessary to engage with the material. Backward design has helped me create a more structured, student-centered approach to instruction. Within my student teaching and two years of teaching, I have been part of a self-contained middle school, where the only teachers are myself and my co-teacher. I have experience with blended learning and cross-curricular teaching as I was able to integrate content from one class into another. My teaching is student-centered and by use of blended learning, I have a good foundation within edtech tools and how to implement them within the classroom. Within the next school year, I plan to experiment with project-based learning - hopefully having community involvement, as well as AI implementation; such as a red light, yellow, light, and green light system of what AI uses is acceptable and harmful on assignments. 

    Throughout my teaching journey, I have been passionate about integrating approaches that enhance student engagement and learning outcomes. In the short term, I am focused on deepening my understanding of project-based learning, creating an effective system for AI implementation in my classroom, and exploring opportunities for gamification across my curriculum. These strategies allow me to foster real-world problem-solving skills, personalize learning experiences, and increase student motivation.

    Looking ahead, I envision my role extending beyond the classroom to support and empower educators on a larger scale. My long-term goal is to move into curriculum development and instructional support at the district level, ensuring that teachers have access to well-designed, effective learning materials. I also aspire to teach at the university level, where I can contribute to shaping the next generation of educators. Additionally, I want to develop a learning system tailored to adult English language learners, bridging gaps in educational accessibility and workforce readiness. By blending my experiences in AI, project-based learning, and gamification with my passion for instructional design, I hope to play a role in shaping the future of education by creating engaging, inclusive, and effective learning environments for both students and teachers.

    I was unaware of what areas the Learning Design and technologies degree covered, so I asked my mentor, Samantha Rodriguez, for further clarification. As an educator, I am particularly interested in instructional design, educational technology integration, and gamification because they align with both my current teaching practices and my long-term goals. Since my student teaching, I have been drawn to backward design, ensuring that learning experiences are intentional and structured around clear outcomes. I am eager to explore project-based learning as a way to make instruction more meaningful and student-centered. My experience with scaffolding and differentiation has helped me tailor instruction to diverse learners, and I see instructional design as a way to refine and expand these skills. In the future, I aim to support other educators by developing curriculum and instructional materials at the district level or within higher education, making instructional design a critical area of focus for me.

    I am also deeply interested in educational technology integration, particularly as I work toward implementing AI in my classroom. Having experience with blended learning and cross-curricular instruction, I see the potential of technology to enhance student engagement, personalize learning, and streamline assessments. I want to explore how technology can support teachers in differentiating instruction effectively while also preparing students for a tech-driven world. Developing expertise in this area will also help me as I work toward my long-term goal of creating a learning system for adult English language learners, ensuring that technology makes education more accessible to diverse learners.

    Lastly, I want to dive deeper into gamification and game-based learning to create more engaging, interactive lessons. Many middle school students thrive when learning feels like a challenge rather than a task, and I am interested in exploring how game mechanics, competition, and rewards can increase motivation. Since I already integrate content across subjects, gamification could provide a unique way to bridge different disciplines while reinforcing key skills. In the future, this knowledge will allow me to design innovative learning experiences that benefit both K-12 students and adult learners. By focusing on these three areas, I hope to contribute to the evolution of education—helping teachers implement effective instructional strategies, embrace technology, and create engaging learning experiences that meet the needs of diverse learners.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections from the Late Majority

Looking Beyond Training: How Needs Assessment Changed My Perspective as a Learning Designer

Reflection on Evaluative Comptencies